Fresh Garam Masala Recipe
- 1 cinnamon stick (2-1/2 to 3 inches long), broken into pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup coriander seeds
- 1 Tbs. green cardamom pods
- 1 Tbs. whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 small dried red chile, stemmed
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
- 1/8 tsp. ground mace
- Heat the cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds.
- Add coriander seeds, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, and chile in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stirring often, until the cumin seeds darken to a deep, toasty brown color, 2 to 3 minutes—the spices may crackle and smoke a bit.
- Immediately transfer to a plate or bowl to cool.
- Add the nutmeg and mace.
- Now grind the spices in a spice grinder to a fine powder, working in batches if necessary.
(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)